Friday, January 11, 2008

On to Berlin!

Last Thursday I trained into Berlin from Karlsruhe with Joe, another GEARE student. The train ride was very fast and very smooth and only took five and a half hours, mostly consisting of me sleeping... We checked into the Circus Hostel and went to bed. Our first few nights in Berlin turned out to be amazing. The Circus hostel homed many young people from all over the world, looking to go out and have a good time. We met students from Australia, Ireland, Argentina, Britain, Brazil, and even some good ole Americans. The hostel itself put out a very "young" atmosphere. The halls ran diagonal past the rooms; the reception area played the most random of music (from classical to Beatles); and the bar downstairs had Happy Hour pretty much every night. Unfortunately, a lot of my time in the hostel was spent on the wifi downstairs, trying to find somewhere to live so that I didn't end up on the streets while working at my ensuing internship on Monday.

We did, though get to walk around a little bit and see the sights and sounds of Berlin. Our hostel was located in a very central location near Alexanderplatz and within walking distance of the Bundestag, Brandenburg Tor, and all the other touristy destinations. One day we set out to see them and I was truly amazed of the beauty the buildings exuded. I was stupid and forgot to bring my camera, but I'll put up some pictures later. The downtown "political" area of Berlin really reminded me of being in Washington DC in the states. You could tell that a lot of very official business was done in this neighborhood. Again, pictures explain this area best so when I get those pictures put up, I'll tell you more.

Then, I was able to have a meeting with some students whose room I was looking at renting. This was the first time I really was able to feel a huge difference in cultures. I tried to talk to them and make jokes like an American, but nothing I said seemed to catch their interest. They really didn't like me... Then, it got even more awkward as they let in other people who were looking in to renting the room at the same time as me. This was the first time I really felt like a foreigner. Needless to say, I didn't get that apartment and had to continue my search.

Eventually, I was able to find a nice little room that a German lady was renting out in Friedenau (southwest Berlin). The area was pure suburbia, a bunch of nice apartments lined up along the road with school children walking around on the streets. The area was very nice, but there was not much to do around there for a college student so I agreed to rent the place till the end of the month and then try my luck again in finding some housing with students...

No comments: