Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Living, Breathing, History

I guess last weekend was just another few days spent halfway around the world… Whenever I start to get lonely or upset or frustrated by something, I just look back at my life and realize that I'm currently doing something that some people will never be able to do in their lifetime. Right now, I'm spending my time in a city that has warred with our country twice in the last 100 years, was blocked by the Iron Curtain of communism, was fueled by the Air Lifts of democracy, tore down walls, reunified, and became one of the most desired places to be in Germany. Thomas Friedman says in his book that the fall of the Berlin wall was probably one of the most important events in our history in terms of globalization. That event single handedly could have led to the coming together of our entire world, creating the synchronous rhythms of global supply chains in all corporations, big and small. Berlin holds on to probably one of the richest, most dynamic and influential histories that has ever occurred in my life…and I'm here to see it. Whenever I feel troubled all I have to do is open my eyes and take in the Berlin air and say to myself "wow, I have truly been blessed!"

No comments: